Communications Manager of the San Francisco Early Music Society
About the San Francisco Early Music Society
Since 1975, the San Francisco Early Music Society (SFEMS) has served the Bay Area’s early music community, promoting historically-informed performance and appreciation of music from the Middle Ages onward, through concert presentations, educational workshops for both amateurs and emerging professionals, and financial and institutional support for regional music organizations who share our goals.
SFEMS presents an annual concert series featuring the finest representatives of our region’s very rich musical community as well as visiting performers of national and international stature. Every other June, SFEMS hosts and presents the Berkeley Festival and Exhibition (BFX), an 8-day, international conclave, with concerts in both San Francisco and Berkeley. It is recognized as one of the world’s major early music festivals and has become a revered tradition in the San Francisco Bay Area. Each summer, SFEMS hosts six, week-long early-music workshops—Medieval/Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Recorder (2 weeks), and a Music Discovery workshop for young people—as well as several collegiums and lectures that take place during the year. Through our Affiliates Program, SFEMS serves as the fiscal sponsor for several dozens local early music ensembles and organizations.
SFEMS serves the greater San Francisco Bay Area, with concert venues in San Francisco, Berkeley, and Palo Alto, and enjoys the support and participation of members from Sonoma to Sacramento to San Jose.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Weekly newsletter and calendar
- Compiling materials and writing copy for the weekly e-mail newsletter
- Compiling weekly calendar of early music events for the newsletter and website
- Social media and website curation
- Curate SFEMS’s social media presence (Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- Manage content on the SFEMS website, making sure it is updated in a timely manner
- Marketing and advertising
- In collaboration with the Administrator and Executive Director, create and implement a comprehensive marketing strategy for the organization’s activities
- Compiling and editing concert programs
- Soliciting and compiling concert programs in a timely manner
- Proofreading and writing copy for concert programs
- Work with graphic designer to lay out program
- Writing copy for SFEMS promotional materials
- Writing copy for the season concert brochure, as well as other mailers and flyers
- Compiling the Berkeley Festival Reader
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Berkeley Festival coordinator, solicit and compile materials for the Reader
- Must have an appreciation of early music; knowledge of early music periods and styles; knowledge of local, national, and international early music ensembles.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Strong writing skills
- Experience in arts marketing and advertising
- Computer skills including effective knowledge of Word and social media. Experience with WordPress and email marketing a plus.
On average, the communications manager is expected to work about 15 hours/week, at a rate $25-$28/hour based on qualifications and experience. Hours may vary depending on the needs of the organization.
Applications and Inquiries
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Writing samples
- 3 references including contact information (electronic submissions preferred)
Derek Tam, Executive Director
San Francisco Early Music Society
Applications will be reviewed in the order received. The position will be open until filled; SFEMS intends to have a candidate in place by February 1, 2020.