Since 1975, the San Francisco Early Music Society (SFEMS) has supported early music performance and education throughout the Bay Area.
SFEMS is a community of patrons and musicians dedicated to increasing public appreciation for historically-informed performance of early music through the efforts and support of the community.
The Society is dedicated to
- Producing an annual, world-class concert series of primarily medieval, Renaissance, and baroque music
- Collaborating with the California Jazz Conservatory in Berkeley to produce a monthly, Sunday afternoon series featuring SFEMS Affiliates
- Offering nationally-recognized summer workshops that encourage the musical development of amateurs and emerging professionals of all ages and increase public involvement and participation
- Providing support to the community, through its Affiliate program, newsletter, and weekly calendar of early music events
- Producing the biennial Berkeley Festival and Exhibition, a one-week celebration of music, which in 2018 had presented 19 main-stage concerts, hosted over 70 fringe concerts and dozens of exhibitors, and collaborated with other early music organizations around the country to present a diversity of special events.
- Exploring innovative ways to bring early music to life
All this has contributed to the Bay Area’s reputation as one of America’s leading centers for the performance of early music.